Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cleaning on a budget

I had a nice request from a reader who wanted more information on cleaning supplies that can be made at a lower cost than store bought items. There are many different recipes that I use around the house but here are a few you might find useful.

Windows- I use a recycled spray bottle and fill with equal parts white vinegar and water. I normally use either newspaper of a cotton cloth to clean. No need to waste paper towels for this job.

General Cleaning- You can mix 2 tbsp ammonia, a shot of dish liquid, and water. I put mine in a larger spray bottle.

Tile- I mix baking soda and bleach to make a paste and scrub with a toothbrush.

Toilets-The best toilet cleaner I have found is also the most inexpensive. It is called The Works. I can get it on sale at my local Wal-Mart for around a dollar. I know it store bought but it's the best I've found, especially for hard water and iron stains.

A stinky room- After you have removed the problem causing the stink, take a cotton ball and go into your kitchen cabinet and find what ever extract you have and put it on the cotton ball. Then go put the cotton ball in a spot where it can't be seen. Instant room refresher!

If you love Febreeze, which I do, save yourself some money and buy a large bottle of off brand fabric softener. Take the Febreeze bottle, add equal parts fabric softener and water. No one will be the wiser.

Shower- I clean the glass door with vinegar and throw the liner in the washer with 3/4 cup of bleach. The bleach gets rid of the mildew. Before you do this though always have a new one ready because sometimes they don't make it through the wash. I can normally wash mine around 5 times before it rips.

Blinds- I hang in the shower and give a good wash. Let drip dry and hang back in the window.

Floors- I use vinegar, dish soap, and water.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'll add more to the list later when my brain is in better working order.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! Ask and you shall receive! Thank you! Those were some great ideas! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I have been gone for a while but I am back with tons of new ideas on saving money.

      Delete
  2. Yes, good ideas. For those of you out there looking to cook up a 'super-cleaner', don't. Every year, EMS responds to hundreds or thousands of calls where people, be it an impatient frat boy or a fed-up mother, mixed bleach and ammonia in the toilet bowl. Can you guess why this is a bad idea? It's because the two will react to release deadly chlorine gas, and since people usually have the door shut, the gas doesn't dissipate, and because human run on oxygen, not chlorine... it's a great way to throw an impromptu Hazmat party. =/

    Seriously kids, don't play with cleaning chemicals. It'll mess you up good if you don't know what you're doing. Good post, I've definitely learned something.


    If what I've said has caught your eye, feel free to visit my blog for more tips at http://911guide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Thrifty Livin Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Make Money from Zazzle|web hosting